Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Shoutbox+-

December 30, 2017, 09:15:02 AM cw6ft2ntx says:

December 17, 2017, 08:55:14 AM Ceekay says:
Finally!!

December 10, 2017, 01:24:14 PM Ceekay says:

December 06, 2017, 08:22:39 AM Ceekay says: It's HUMP Day... about time too!  :)

December 02, 2017, 11:51:49 PM Ceekay says: You're a tease VS!! Tut bl**dy tut!  :-X

View Shout History

Author Topic: Old RDA's hoping to get a new lease on life  (Read 675 times)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
  • Making geezy look easy since '64.
    • How much longer?
  • Rated: +78
Old RDA's hoping to get a new lease on life
« on: August 14, 2017, 05:29:32 PM »
I have a couple of older RDA's here that haven't seen much use in recent years. They're still pretty decent little bits o' kit, and I was thinking maybe they deserve another look to see if coil options won't make them useful again.

The first is a smaller one, I think it was billed as a Red Dragon on the old TW store. It's an unvarnished copper unit (that tends to tarnish really easily unless you coat it with something, and while I suppose a couple of smallish vertical "chimney"-style coils might fit, it's ideally made for a single coil.

The other RDA is the venerable Tibet by UD. It's got a huge base, and terminals for up to 3 coils. This one in particular I'd really like to see what sort of performance I could coax out of the thing.

So, any suggestions from you pro-level coilers out there? I'm going to give both of these a proper cleaning this week and see if I can't get at least one of them back into the fight. Thanks in advance!

:thanks:

• Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
  • Its not what you know it's who you know
  • Rated: +318
Re: Old RDA's hoping to get a new lease on life
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 05:55:21 PM »
I still have both of those Tim but not used them for years I will dig them out to see what we can put in them I remember the Tibet I did manage to get 6 micro coils in it it fits perfectly on the gladiator mech mod which houses a 26650 battery bit of a beast in it's day
  • Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused
Vaping is life life is for vaping

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2017, 06:46:38 PM »
I never did pick up the Gladiator (but I remember it well.) I did put the Tibet on the big Oddy manual mod, and the RDA lopped over the sides by a good 2mm all the way round. Looking forward to what you come up with, thanks zim!

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2017, 07:27:11 PM »
You are welcome Tim I will root them out tomorrow mate
  • Thankyou x 1    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 06:14:59 PM »
Well, I started the day by giving the Tibet a thorough cleaning (it had been sitting in a little desk caddy of mine for years.) When I bought it, TC hadn't even been thought of much less released in the wild, so to start out I made a couple of SS micros and popped them in. Nothing fancy, just wanted to see if it worked. Came in at around 0.14Ω, and once I burned them in and wicked them, I dripped in a pretty copious supply of 2:1 VG/PG (no flavours or nic,) Pretty impressive so far, I have to admit. I'm not running them too hot until they bed in, so I'm around 400F (205C) and so far, it's chucking some nice clouds.

I could try a third coil, but I'd be pressing my luck, as the resistance would probably be down around 0.06-0.08Ω, which I think will kick in the anti-blowthehellup mode built into my Forza.  :scratch:

So my first experiment seems to be a tentative success.  :happydance:

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2017, 06:29:53 PM »
I have found mine Tim I just need to have a play with them what type of vape are you after Tim so I know what to aim for

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2017, 07:48:06 PM »
Well, I was using it on a couple manual mods back in the day, but I much prefer to use TC these days. I usually go for a light-to-medium pull--plenty of air to cool the coils, but enough to provide some resistance when inhaling. Nothing too hot, but a little warmth is fine. And since I'm not using base or flavours right now, enough to chuck some clouds whilst not setting off the smoke detectors would be a plus.

How's that for being particular? LOL  :haha:

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2017, 10:13:11 PM »
Sounds good to me Tim how would you feel   about a stainless steel tiger coil it's just a simple single round wire wrapped with a  flat wire or don't you want to go that route

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2017, 11:00:08 PM »
I don't have any flat wire handy, although how hard are claptons to make and do they perform well on a TC mod (unless I miss my guess, the tiger sounds a bit similar to a clapton, yes?) Otherwise, I'll have to see what Amazon has handy in flat wire stock. :D

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2017, 11:24:39 PM »
Yes it is basicaly a clapton  but use much thinner wire to be able to get it through the post holes
  • Thankyou    Like x 1    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2017, 12:13:00 AM »
It looks impressive...and complicated, at least at my present skill level of coil making. I'm not sure my old eyeballs or knotted-up fingers could quite swing doing something that intricate. Maybe I'll have to try some of the pre-mades. I've been priding myself on my independence in making my own coils for several years, but they've been very simple. None of the exotic things at all. I guess we all have to occasionally move out of our comfort zone, so I can give something a bit more complex a go. I just don't want to get frustrated with taking on something too difficult, if you understand what I'm getting at. Looks like it'd be one hell of a vape, no doubt, tho'!

Thanks zim! 
:thanks:

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2017, 12:56:05 AM »
It is Tim as they say clouds for days you can either buy tiger wire or buy the coils pre made Tim basically it is only 28 awg and a 0.1 flat wire both stainless sreel the flat wire is wrapped around the 28 gauge just like a clapton only with the flat wire it gives a bigger surface area 9

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2017, 04:49:42 AM »
Are the pre-mades TC-compliant, or are they used in power mode instead? Haven't really experimented at all with the fancier coils to be honest.

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2017, 10:26:34 AM »
Yes most of the fancy coils you can now get in stainless steel mate

Offline tiddler

• Free Thinking Clown
  • The Originals
  • University Of Life - Studying Cool.
    • https://www.facebook.com/graham.evans.313
  • Rated: +295
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2017, 10:29:10 AM »
This guy sells both Tim.
Stainless steel or Nichrome for TC Mode And Kanthal for Power mode.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/g_vapes?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
"May the Squonk be with you" :vape: