Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Shoutbox+-

December 30, 2017, 09:15:02 AM cw6ft2ntx says:

December 17, 2017, 08:55:14 AM Ceekay says:
Finally!!

December 10, 2017, 01:24:14 PM Ceekay says:

December 06, 2017, 08:22:39 AM Ceekay says: It's HUMP Day... about time too!  :)

December 02, 2017, 11:51:49 PM Ceekay says: You're a tease VS!! Tut bl**dy tut!  :-X

View Shout History

Author Topic: Old RDA's hoping to get a new lease on life  (Read 674 times)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
  • Making geezy look easy since '64.
    • How much longer?
  • Rated: +77
Re: Old RDA's hoping to get a new lease on life
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2017, 02:05:48 PM »
Thanks again for the tips, guys. I'll have to see what I can find this side of the Pond, tids. The seller you cited is local to you, but I'm afraid I'd pay a pretty hefty postage/tariff to have them shipped here. Looks like I need to start hunkering down again and learning some of these newfangled bits-n-bobs.

:scratch:

• Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
  • Its not what you know it's who you know
  • Rated: +317
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2017, 02:51:43 PM »
Ok Tim the red Dragon I have put a duel coil in it I made the coils with 29 awg 316L stainless steel single core an wrapped it with flat ribbon 316L stainless steel 1x1mm the coils where made up with a 2.5mm ID and 6 wraps each came out at 0.41 ohms I have it set at 240c 30.2 watts it draws 7.8 amps I have the top airflow wide open and it blows some decent clouds I hope this helps you mate

• Thankyou x 1    Like    Love It! x 1    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 3 Post Total)
Vaping is life life is for vaping

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2017, 03:33:14 PM »
You, sir, are amazing! I'm going to have to see if I can't get my head (if not my hands) around some of the wrapping techniques you used here, it looks brilliant! Thank you very much again!
  • Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2017, 04:18:10 PM »
Cheers Tim thank you I am just working on the Tibet now with the post holes being so small you are pretty much restricted on what you can use anyway I have settled on just a plain 28awg twisted 316L so we will see how that goes

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2017, 04:34:13 PM »
Cheers Tim thank you I am just working on the Tibet now with the post holes being so small you are pretty much restricted on what you can use anyway I have settled on just a plain 28awg twisted 316L so we will see how that goes

Well, here's what may be a silly question, but I've never let that stop me before. ;)

When coils, by virtue of the way they're designed, are "bulkier" than usual, is it possible to just wrap/twist/whatever around the business part of the coil, and leave the leads (which are presumably smaller diameter) bare to fit in eensy-weensy post holes? I may not be an engineer, but wire coils (in distinction from their leads) conduct current, whether they are physically attached to the post or not. I may not have my finger in the mains, but if I touch a bare wire that IS plugged into it, I'm sure to get the message real quick. It seems the principle is the same--bulk up the wrapped part of the coil, but leave the leads bare so they can fit into the post holes.

Again, I may be all wet here, there may be an angle I'm not seeing. Your thoughts?

EDIT: After posting, I thought about it for a second. It's possible the downside to this would be the wrapped part would simply be conveying the heat supplied by the main wire and not an active part in the circuit. I may have to experiment with this and see what comes of it. Still interesting in your input, however!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 04:37:36 PM by StarGeezerTim »

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2017, 05:21:39 PM »
More the latter half you are right about Tim if the three coils are not tightened down more or less equally the tightest coil will heat up faster than the looser ones making it uneven also if it's not a good contact it will take forever to heat up I do understand where you are coming froim though but we are talking very low voltage not 240 volts it's like even on a car 12 volts it only takes a build up of verdegris on the wire to cause a malfunction whereas a 240 v set up would just flow straight through it any way i have twisted together 2 lengths of some 28awg stainless steel 316L and made 3 coils again with a 2.5 ID they came out at 0.16ohms since taking a picture I have changed the wattage to 40 watts and 290c it is drawing 15 amps  again with the airflow wide open it gives a slightly restricted draw which is just right for me and it is creating clouds of vapor and full flavour

• Thankyou    Like x 1    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2017, 05:39:31 PM »
Excellent work, as always zim.

Yeah, once I got thinking about it after typing it out, it started to make a bit more sense. Sometimes we have to talk (or type) things out to get our minds around it. I think I'm following, more or less. LOL

Thanks again, mate! You rock!

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2017, 06:40:15 PM »
Thanks Tim and you are very welcome I only hope it helps if you decide to have a go at making you're own coils if you need any help just Holler mate

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #23 on: August 17, 2017, 12:51:43 PM »
You said you never bought the gladiator Tim so I thought while I had the Tibet out I would put them together for old time sake it's still a big mod  with its 26650 battery inside anyway it still works fantastic here is a picture to show you

• Thankyou    Like x 1    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #24 on: August 17, 2017, 02:50:17 PM »
You said you never bought the gladiator Tim so I thought while I had the Tibet out I would put them together for old time sake it's still a big mod  with its 26650 battery inside anyway it still works fantastic here is a picture to show you

Yeah, it was pretty sexy-looking and I was sorely tempted to grab one. I just didn't want another battery form-factor to have to deal with. I'm pretty happy with the 18650 "standard", and didn't want to have to invest in new batteries, chargers, etc. But I'm not gonna lie, that's one beast of a mod! Nice!

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #25 on: August 17, 2017, 02:52:50 PM »
By the by, I've had the Tibet on one of the Forza's, and now that it's bedded in a couple days, it's really come into its own. I think the problem before was that unregulated manuals or power mods without the right battery just tailed off too much for this thing, and I think I found it underwhelming at the time. Now that I've got temperature control and it can provide a smooth ramp-up and consistent power delivery, I'm really enjoying the experience. Sometimes it pays to dust off our old toys, right? LOL

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #26 on: August 17, 2017, 03:22:32 PM »
Yes it's amazing Tim when they where brought out direct lung vaping was not a big thing then now I have built the Tibet I found it just right for my style of direct lung inhaling as I prefare a slightly restricted draw and the Tibet's airflow is just right for me
  • Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree x 1    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #27 on: August 17, 2017, 04:58:28 PM »
Yes it's amazing Tim when they where brought out direct lung vaping was not a big thing then now I have built the Tibet I found it just right for my style of direct lung inhaling as I prefare a slightly restricted draw and the Tibet's airflow is just right for me

Agreed, I'm really rather glad I dug them out to have another go at them. They under-performed when they first came out, but now they really shine.

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #28 on: August 17, 2017, 06:05:46 PM »
I have just managed to get three Claptons in the Tibet I used 26 awg core with a 34 awg wrap in stainless steel and they went in ok it come out at 0.24 ohms

Offline StarGeezerTim

• Geezerus Emeritus
  • The Originals
    • How much longer?
« Reply #29 on: August 17, 2017, 07:11:58 PM »
You've done this a time or three zim, those coils are pro-grade mate!  :vape:

Social Media+-

Our Sponsors+-

Recent Topics+-

Do You Know OBS Crius Dual Coil Version RTA tank ? by Efun.top
Today at 04:10:31 AM

Vapefly Mesh Plus RDTA Tank Atomizer|Compatible with mesh wire, single coil/dual by vaporl
Today at 02:00:43 AM

The Last Post Thread by tiddler
Today at 12:42:15 AM

Daily Handcheck by zimmerman
January 17, 2018, 09:41:55 PM

Cool squonker by SmokeScreen
January 17, 2018, 08:15:45 PM

Aspire Revvo by Ceekay
January 17, 2018, 07:33:50 PM

So this is where you're all hiding..... by Ceekay
January 17, 2018, 07:25:50 PM

Tiny Demon Killer Kit Review by zimmerman
January 17, 2018, 05:28:26 PM

E-cigarettes Can Help Smokers Quit and Public Officials Should Take Note by zimmerman
January 17, 2018, 05:01:07 PM

Leaky Kylin by zimmerman
January 17, 2018, 04:58:03 PM

Birthdays+-