Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.

Forgot your password?

Shoutbox+-

December 30, 2017, 09:15:02 AM cw6ft2ntx says:

December 17, 2017, 08:55:14 AM Ceekay says:
Finally!!

December 10, 2017, 01:24:14 PM Ceekay says:

December 06, 2017, 08:22:39 AM Ceekay says: It's HUMP Day... about time too!  :)

December 02, 2017, 11:51:49 PM Ceekay says: You're a tease VS!! Tut bl**dy tut!  :-X

View Shout History

Author Topic: Exploding batteries  (Read 512 times)

Offline RETTLIEN

• Rated: +22
Exploding batteries
« on: November 05, 2017, 09:05:45 AM »
Had an alarming experience last night.
The landlord at my local, who is a reasonably experienced vaper,  showed me a bad burn to his upper body which happened on Thursday, when the ecig he carried in his pocket exploded. The poor chap is back to smoking roll ups. :con:
I became extremely concerned as I tend to carry mine in my shirt pocket in the exact same place. I immediately switched mine off until I was actually vaping. It has made me rather paranoid.
Just wondered if anybody else has experienced similar and does it help to have it switched off, or can a battery just explode on its own.
I suppose I'm asking for some safety tips for when I am out and about really. RETT :scratch:

• Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused

Online Ceekay

• Administrator
    • Ceekays Reviews - Blog Site
  • Rated: +381
Re: Exploding batteries
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2017, 09:52:26 AM »
Hi Rett, first of all was it a separate battery that you remove from the mod, or was it a built in battery?

I'm guessing that he had something else in his pocket too, and this made the battery or mod short in some way. Or if it was a separate battery than the protective battery wrap wasn't up to scratch, and possibly had a nick or a tear that caused the battery to short?

A battery would rarely explode for no reason, its normally a short, or the battery is being pushed too hard for the amps it can actually supply.

It also depends on what device or battery is was? There are lots of fake or sub standard batteries around these days, and you should really make that you are purchasing a good, genuine battery.

Can you let us know what he was using, and how he had stored the battery in his pocket?

• Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused

Offline lenny

• Souperdog
  • The Originals
  • Rated: +73
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2017, 10:01:53 AM »
I've never had an ecig explode but a quite few years ago I used to have an odyssey ecig. It was a mechanical device which had a button at the bottom of the device which you pressed to fire it. If I remember correctly (and I could be wrong) you turned the button which would lock it so it wouldn't fire when it was in the pocket. For a couple of days (until I worked out what was causing it) the mod would fire when it was in my pocket, and it got so hot on one occasion that it burnt my behind. The cause? The battery was shorting out on the metal work of the mod, which was due to the protective wrap of the battery having a small tear which would short the mod out. Life lesson number one when vaping, take very good care of your batteries!
  • Thankyou    Like    Love It!    Agree x 1    Funny    Brilliant    Best Solution    Magic    Winner    Different    Confused (List of Rates | 1 Post Total)

Offline ezeetrucker

• Juice Junkie
  • The Originals
  • Rated: +60
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2017, 10:09:02 AM »
Strangely I was reading about battery fires and explosions the other day. In the U.S. 4 out of 5 incidents that the fire service were called out to, was the fault of overcharging, be it using the wrong usb charger or using faulty unprotected chargers.
VAPE ON YOU SHALL, CALM YOU WILL KEEP]

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
  • Its not what you know it's who you know
  • Rated: +314
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2017, 11:26:33 AM »
I had one vent on me my own fault for using a clone mech mod never again will I use a clone
Vaping is life life is for vaping

Online Ceekay

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2017, 12:14:26 PM »
 :-X And I have a mech clone squonker on the way!  :oooo: I'm feeling very nervous about that now!
Is there anything I can watch out for that will give away if it's not safe?

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2017, 01:11:57 PM »
The copper contact on the switch was to high up instead of touching the insulated part at the bottom of the 510 it touched the upper part above the peek insulator causing a dead short when I pressed the fire button it sounded like the tank firing but no vapor then a horrible smell it wasent the tank firing it was the battery sizzling it was red hot

Online Ceekay

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2017, 01:15:15 PM »
Bl**dy hell! I would have thrown it and run! (and I don't run too often these days!)  :oooo:

I'll give everything a check over before I use it.... which clone was it Zim?

Offline zimmerman

• Vape Guru
  • The Originals
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 01:23:23 PM »
It was that purple boxer I got from 3f vape never had a clone before and I just wanted to try one to see what all the fuss was with clones they may say they are 1-1 clones but that's only in looks the internals where cheap muck but what did i expect for 15

Offline tiddler

• Free Thinking Clown
  • The Originals
  • University Of Life - Studying Cool.
    • https://www.facebook.com/graham.evans.313
  • Rated: +294
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 01:33:23 PM »
Still don't see the point in mech mods personally  :no2: Be they top quality or cheap clones.

I mean Why? Just Why?

As for batteries. Having had experience of some huge and very powerful Lipo batteries in the past .. My habits tend to be ... If in doubt - Chuck it out!
"May the Squonk be with you" :vape:

Online Ceekay

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2017, 01:35:33 PM »
 :laughtears: Thats me done for then! Shall I say my final farewells now, or wait till it gets here! lol

I nearly ordered a boxer  :ashamed:

I used to love mechs Tids, mainly for the point that theres not really anything to go wrong in them, if theyre made properly to start with that is. The power drop used to bug me though.

Offline lenny

• Souperdog
  • The Originals
  • Rated: +73
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2017, 01:47:46 PM »
This is getting positively stone age! I'm with Tids on this one, why even consider a mech these days?

Offline tiddler

• Free Thinking Clown
  • The Originals
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2017, 01:52:34 PM »
Well, I've already said about the silly price some of these mechs are fetching.
But that aside, Its fast approaching 2018. Electronics have advanced to the point where they are built into everything and give us a huge level of protection against these sort of things.

And you cant say cost means making full use of these advanced safety features prohibitive cos it just doesnt  :no2:

TBH though, the biggest flaw with any device (Whatever it is) is the end user  :yes:

Online Ceekay

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2017, 01:58:25 PM »
Yeah, I honestly don't get all the hype, apart from they will last. There really is very little that can go wrong inside them. Take the SX mini for instance, 200 and eventually something on that board will go wrong, or a wire will come off, or something somewhere will break and unfortunately for me, I won't know how to fix it.

A mech mod though has far less to go wrong, dirt build up on the button would be one of the very few things, and even I could fix that.

I don't know... I kind of like both. But for the sake of my limbs, I tend to use regulated now.

Offline tiddler

• Free Thinking Clown
  • The Originals
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2017, 02:14:44 PM »
True, There is very little inside of them.  So why the cost?

Also ... When it does go wrong, there is nothing to protect against catastrophic failure  :oooo:

I still don't get it  :no2: